Communications Officer (FT)
Blue Peace Middle East is looking for a Communications Officer to work at its Coordination Office in Amman, Jordan. If you are passionate about promoting cooperation and peace through sustainable water management and have the skills and experience required to contribute to our mission, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
Type of Contract: Fixed term (Annual)
Location: Amman, Jordan
Expected start date: 1 February 2024
About Blue Peace Middle East
Blue Peace Middle East is a non-governmental initiative dedicated to promoting cooperation and peace through sustainable water management in the Middle East.
Established in 2010, the Blue Peace ME initiative is committed to its mission of transforming water from a potential source of conflict into an instrument of cooperation and peace through dialogue, capacity building, and concrete actions.
This unique initiative is led by a regionally owned mechanism, which is comprised of members from Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Türkiye, and, to a certain extent, Iran and Syria. The Blue Peace ME Regional Mechanism (RM) contributes to peace by stimulating political and technical dialogues about water and supporting concrete regional projects, know-how transfer, knowledge exchange, and capacity-building activities in its member countries.
The Coordination Office
The Blue Peace Middle East initiative’s Coordination Office (CO) provides logistical, organizational, and communication support to help the Blue Peace Middle East RM achieve its objectives. The CO is responsible for the overall coordination of Blue Peace ME activities, smooth communication within the RM and with Blue Peace ME partners. Its duties include providing secretarial support to the Managing Committee (MC) and Policy Advisory Committee (PAC), coordinating thematic activities, managing subcontractors, and implementing a coherent outreach strategy for Blue Peace ME. The CO also provides technical and logistical support for Blue Peace ME events and liaises with support institutions on progress of thematic activities, financial matters, and administrative issues. Additionally, the CO organizes and hosts MC and PAC meetings and workshops, takes minutes, and provides technical and logistical support as needed. The CO is currently hosted at the offices of INWRDAM in Amman, Jordan.
The Inter-Islamic Network on Water Resources Development and Management (INWRDAM) is an autonomous intergovernmental think-tank based in Amman, Jordan. It was established in 1987 under the Ministerial Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation.
With 21 member countries, the organisation focuses on promoting cooperation in water resources management through research, actions on ground, dialogue and policy development.
The Communications Officer works in close collaboration with the Head of the Blue Peace Coordination Office and Technical Officer, supporting all communications tasks including external communication with Blue Peace ME members, partners and donors. The Communications Officer is responsible for the preparation of all written documents, from Blue Peace ME reports to speeches, press releases, social media and website content. In addition, the Communications Officer assists the Head of CO in the development and drafting of operational reports and engagement with journalists and influencers, with a focus on relationship-building.
The Communications Officer reports directly to the Technical Officer and collaborates closely with the other members of the CO team to further the objectives of the Blue Peace ME initiative.
· Master’s degree in social sciences, journalism, communications, political sciences or international relations.
· At least 3 years’ work experience in the region; preferably in the water or environmental sectors;
· Demonstrated interest in issues related to sustainable development, the environment, and water diplomacy.
· Excellent English-language writing, editing, reporting and communication skills;
· Experience in the design and implementation of strategic communications and social media strategies;
· Experience in working with online content management systems and website monitoring tools (especially WordPress, Drupal, Google Analytics).
· The Communications Officer is a full-time position. The Communications Officer works with the CO team at the offices of INWRDAM in Amman, Jordan, and must be available to work in the office five days a week;
· Available and willing to undertake regional travel and interact with regional
stakeholders and partners.
· Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
· Excellent written and spoken English and Arabic mandatory (C2 level); knowledge of Turkish and/or Farsi an asset.
· Computer literacy (word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint), use of web-based online communication tools, including capacity to guide the production of high-quality, storytelling-type communication material for social media.
· Familiarity with virtual event software such as Zoom and MS Teams.
o Able to build trust and contribute to informed and responsible decision making by carrying out the work of Blue Peace ME in a transparent manner;
o Provide clear guidance to ensure that objectives and desired measurable results are understood by members of the team.
o Understand and accept cultural diversity; able to provide a tolerant, positive and supportive working environment that fosters respect for diversity;
o Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, gender-balanced environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
o Promote the interests, objectives and values of Blue Peace ME in a diligent and professional manner.
Applicants are requested to apply by sending their CV, a letter of motivation and 3 reference letters to the Blue Peace ME Coordination Office at email@example.com stating ‘Your Name – Communications Officer Application’ in the subject line.
The first round of interviews will take place during the third week of January 2024.
Please note that only selected applicants will be contacted.